Sunday, June 14, 2009

June 14, Things I remember

Trying to compile my blog at this point was a really bad idea. I have everything I’ve written on the trip fairly well organized and ready to be posted, but the trip is a big blur to me now and I’m finding it really difficult to keep my days straight.
Now that I have everything more or less in order I realize that there are so many random memories that didn’t find a place in my blog, and now have nowhere to go since I can’t remember exactly what day they occurred. This won’t do, as it’s these random memoies that are the real essence of the trip for me. And so this post is for as many of these memories as I can recall. My biggest regret is that I didn’t take more pictures.

Anyway, here we go with a segment I’ll creatively dub…
Things I remember!

The Thunder Dolphin:
During one of our last days in Japan a group of us took a trip to an amusement park in the middle of the city. The highlight had to be the giant rollercoaster, The THUNDER DOLPHIN. This thing was plain intimidating. It went above the surrounding buildings and dropped straight down before actually going through another building. I’ve never felt my stomach fly so far out of place before, the first drop literally stole your breath. We all rode it and survived, even Haneul, who almost chickened out but sucked it up very bravely at the last minute.


The Thunder Dolphin


View from the top of the Ferris wheel

Engrish:
God, I love Japan. What a silly, incredible place. As an American I’m used to being disgusted by the surrounding culture, but as an American in Japan I get a kick out of virtually everything I see. This trip reminded me that the world outside of Boone actually isn’t so bad, even through something as simple as a sign in the subway. Which reminds me of a whole other story…


What is that?


An Obamanation


Oh!


What about only drinking at breakfast time?


I like this countries work ethic.
(Haha, they said "do it")

The Sign in the Subway:
So as a group of us were coming back from the bars one night, it struck us that we were surrounded with (potentially free) stuff that would look really awesome in our rooms. Carpeing the hell of the Diem as we were, we had to take the opportunity presented to us. The group who was with me (who will go unnamed) had already helped themselves to some seriously awesome bar paraphernalia, and we continued our raid as we made our way through the city.
As we were getting home I spotted the perfect sign for my bedroom door in the subway station near our hostel. It had some cool kanji and a stopsign, and looked ripe for the taking. I acted quickly and made to peeling the sign off the door, just as I heard someone say “Oh man, were looking directly into a camera”.
We made it back to the hostel without getting caught though. But as I slept my dream self must have had a crisis of conscious, and I woke up paranoid and feeling a little ashamed of myself.
I had learned the other night that everyone in Japan takes their job very seriously and that if there was someone who watched the security camera they would make it their duty to catch me for stealing that sign. Also, as I laid there thinking about it, I realized that I was in a culture I didn’t understand. Not only was I clueless as to what would happen to me for stealing that sign, but I was convinced that I would be caught for it the next time we took the subway. On top of that, the lessons of the past few days (see May 20th) had got me thinking about what it meant to represent much more than just myself. I felt getting caught for something so juvenile would not only demean myself, but would demean my own culture, and would belie my genuine feeling that I was a guest in someone else’s home.
And so the story has an ending of odd karmatic balance. At sunrise, about 4am, I walked to the subway station and reposted the sign exactly where it had been. An early morning worker watched me, obviously confused. He was the only witness to my crisis of conscious.

Sumo Wrestling:
Not that much to be said here, but definitely something I remember. It was a very interesting cultural experience, and by far the most stylized sporting events I’d ever seen. A few people in our group thought it was boring due to the long traditional warm-up stretches before every match. I liked the pace though, it’s a perfect sport to enjoy a good conversation to, and with an intense spectacle every five minutes or so. It was definetly a memorable experience.



711 and Family Mart:
Ah, our home away from home. These convenience stores were a staple of our trip, keeping us supplied with daybeers, nightbeers, water, and snacks. In Taiwan we had a Family Mart across the street from the hotel Flower, which became our store. We visited that place at all hours of the day, multiple times, every day. When we got to Japan we quickly claimed the nearest 711 as our own as well, and spent many hours relaxing on a stoop right across from it (which was actually a flower shop which closed at night). I think it’s safe to say we wouldn’t have survived the trip if it hadn’t been for the 711s that were absolutely everywhere.


Our 711...I miss it


Our stoop right across from 711. It was covered with flowers in the daytime, but they pulled them all inside at night. There's a bench we'd always sit on under those flowers somewhere. After we'd been there a few days they started turning it upside down at night to discourage us from loitering there. We'd flip it back up though, cause it was already ours.

The Secrets and Things that Shouldn’t be Blogged:
We had our fair share of these. None were too horrible, really, mostly just potentially embarrassing. As someone was fond of saying, “Were here to **** **** up”, and sometimes that’s exactly what we did. We were good natured as a whole though, so our mischief was always harmless. If only I could share an example…like the best secret of the trip. If you could guess what that is you probably already know it. Funny shit huh?


"That building was giving out free posters!"

The People:
Far and away one of the best, most memorable aspects of the trip was the exceptional group that I went with. Every member of the group has left a unique impression on me, and I’ll remember them forever.


Taylor and I with some locals who were showing us around the city


Yes, Tara, you have a ticket and I don't. Go ahead, mock me


Taylor and Jake. A bit like the twins from The Shining, don't you think?
"Come play with us"
"there will be daybeers"


Mr. Josh and Mrs. Melody getting some sleep


Meredith and Haneul learn how much fun subways can be in Tokyo

...is that really all the pictures I have? So many great people left out. Sorry if you were, you're still awesome.

I could keep going forever. I’ve taken a lifetime of experiences with me from this trip. This post seems to have some sort of finality to it, as afterwards I’ll have no reason to look back on the trip except for the sake of nostalgia. I know I will though. I have every day since I’ve been back, and I know it will be a long time before the melancholy of the trip being over fades away. I wish I could do it all again. I wouldn’t change anything.

Goodbye world,
-James

No comments:

Post a Comment